Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages
Hints & Tips
Parenting

What do I do if my Child Swallows a Magnet?

Kristie Rivers, MD, FAAP, Board Certified Pediatrician
January 3, 2019 . 1 min read

While magnets are innocent appearing, they can be deadly if not removed promptly, particularly if two or more magnets are swallowed. Once they reach the intestinal tract, magnets can bind together across the bowel wall, causing tears in the bowel and potentially causing a life-threatening perforation if not recognized quickly. The physician will send your child for x-rays to locate the magnet and determine how many have been ingested. If there are multiple magnets in there, your child will likely be sent straight to the operating room to have them removed.

Powered by Bundoo®

25990cookie-checkWhat do I do if my Child Swallows a Magnet?